Historic Airfield Commemorated


On Saturday 21st July members of 42F (King’s Lynn) Squadron Air Training Corps were proud to be the uniformed representatives of the Royal Air Force at the unveiling of a memorial in the West Norfolk village of Sedgeford.

The dedication was part of a nationwide project by the Airfields of Britain Conservation Trust to commemorate all airfields constructed since the early 20th century. Sedgeford aerodrome began in 1915 as an emergency landing ground for the Royal Naval Air Service before becoming a training base for the Royal Flying Corps and after 1st April 1918 the Royal Air Force

Throughout the First World War, the aerodrome continued to expand, and at its peak more than 1,200 personnel were stationed there. By 1918 Sedgeford had become a three-squadron training station. The airfield was closed down in 1919 but served again between 1940 and 1944 as a decoy airfield.

Cadet Grace Richardson (14yrs) placed the poppy wreath following the dedication and unveiling by the Conservation Trust’s Director General Kenneth Bannerman, the current landowner William Barber and Dr. Neil Faulkner of the Sedgeford Historical & Archaeological Research Project (SHARP) who have carried out excavations of the site.